review

London Grammar.

14:45Millicent Metcalfe

London Grammar are a British Trip Hop trio, formed by Hannah Reid on lead vocals, Dot Major on KeyBoard and Dan Rothman on Guitar. Vocalist Hannah Reid and Guitarist Dan Rothman met at University in 2009, with Dot Major being added to the trio later, after being introduced to the band.

When the British newcomers London Grammar released their amazing 'Metal and Dust EP' it was clear that they had the talent to create an amazing follow up LP.  And as it happened 'If you wait' their debut album, has done just that.

I find it hard to believe that just last year London Grammar were a band unknown to the world. Though, that being said, I at one point was one of the unfortunate few who had no idea who the group were. Considering their recent popularity on various music blogs and their features on radio stations, to even consider the fact that they were unknown seems ridiculous. With their haunting melodies and beautiful lyrics it's no wonder they're capturing the hearts of critics everywhere. I must admit, I too have become infatuated with the group, Their debut album 'If You Wait' is stunning, truly showcasing the deep sultry vocals of Hannah Reid. Her breathless vocals draw you into every song, with Dan and Dot's instrumentals finishing the masterpieces. As one music blogger perfectly put it 'The tracks bloom into a hypnotic sway of pianos and snare taps. The final result is both current and timeless; like a phantom gramophone echoing through the digital era.' I couldn't have worded it more perfectly.

It would be easy to brand London Grammar's vocals as being brooding and melancholy, however Hannahs beautiful deep, ethereal vocals present a reflective and soulful vibe to the album itself.  The music is a blend of classical, gentle sounds, Overall presenting a finished album of  powerfully chilling vocals and airy guitar riffs. Hannah's vocals
quickly reminded me of a mixture of Florence Welch, Jessie Ware and Lana Del Rey, instantly capturing my attention. My favorite tracks are 'Hey Now' and 'Wasting my Young Years'. Considering that they have been in the music industry for just a year their achievements are profound, and quite frankly, they deserve it. Creating an album that flows as well as this one does, rather than putting some homemade tracks thrown together on a home CD, is hard to succeed at and London Grammar have perfected it. This group have certainly captured not only the attention of myself, but many others since their collaboration with the disclosure brothers. I have no doubts in the fact that London Grammar would have risen just as far on their own, and I cannot wait to see how they grow as artists. I expect to see even better music from them in the future and I am very much excited about what is to come from the trio.




London Grammar? You're doing great.




Millie x









You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. I love how in depth you go , I love London grammar & can't wait for what you will come out with next x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I can't wait to see what they'll come out with! x

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts

Contact Form