edit

Bad Things: The Edit #1

08:53Millicent Metcalfe

Bad Things are an American synth rock band, hailed all the way from the US. The band are a 5-piece group composed of lead singer Davis LeDuke, bassist Jared Palomar, guitarist Anthony Sanudo, drummer-vocalist Lena Zawaideh, and none other than Shaun White professional skateboarder and snowboarder on guitar. Bad Things 'roots' were initially planted in North County San Diego, CA where Shaun, Lena and Anthony all grew up together. Jared and Davis joined the group this past year, and together, they wrote a new collection of songs for their debut album.

Now, if you haven't heard of Bad Things, don't worry. I'm not sure if many people have. I was in for a shock when I initially found out that Shaun White was in a band. You see, Twenty-six-year-old Shaun is world famous for his snowboard/skateboarding successes - winning two olympic gold medals and holding the record for most won X-Games, and admittedly that's what I knew him for. Alas, I didn't know that 'The Flying Tomato' was part of a band in his spare time, or, at least not a good one. However, I don't think that Shaun should be their only claim to fame. These folks are really talented, and as it happens, just up my street.


They have this dreamy relaxed '60s California thing going on, that certainly works in their favour. The debut single and first offering from their album was the track 'Caught inside'. This is merely the tip of the iceberg for the band, and whilst it really shows Lena's vocal work and drumming ability,  it seems the whole band really pulled together for this one. Tracks Like 'Anybody' and 'Haunting' are consistent in their catchy hooks and stunning vocals. I struggle to fault the twelve tracks on the album, although I do have my favourites. I've found that their stage presence is also something to be praised. They blend together so well, each having their own moments of glory, however working as a team to create a fantastic show. 

Bad Things signed to Warner Bros. Records in mid 2013. Their standout LP was produced by Rob Schnapf, and featured their lead single 'Anybody'. The debut self-titled album was released in January 2014.
The band have played numerous gigs, including multiple gigs in NYC in 2011, as well as Brooklyn Bowl, and Santo's Party house in 2013. They also played most recently (ish) at SXSW.
These guys are currently on their US tour and have dates until september, so if you fancy seeing a gig I recommend you give their website a quick peek. 

I've been loving these guys for the past few months, especially during the hectic exam season. I hope you enjoy their music as much as I have!






As for Bad Things? well I guess 'indie pop' has never looked so badass.



Millie x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form