review

Something New: Lola Cove.

14:48Millicent Metcalfe

I have recently found myself with a rare bit of free time, and so have decided to grace you all with this lovely blog post. This post will be featuring a new favourite band of mine, a group named 'Lola Cove'. I first stumbled across the band through twitter, and i'll say it straight off of the bat, I'm so happy I did. Lola Cove are an alternative rock band, originating from South London, the UK. Formed in 2013, Lola Cove are a five man band, consisting of lead vocalist Luke Richmond (also on piano), Ollie Richmond on vocals and guitar, Johnny Swales on bass, all of whom are also joined by Tom and Rob cousins on guitar, vocals, and drums respectively.

As I didn't really know much about the band before i'd managed to listen to their music, I thought i'd look at their website to get some information on these London lads. I soon discovered that prior to 2013, they were all parts of different bands before coming together to form a new band - Lola Cove.  In 2013 the band released their first EP, spanning three tracks of enthralling alt - rock with perfectly placed hooks and riffs, combined with a sound that keeps a rock sound tied with an utterly solid bass. For a band that has only been together for a year, I find it hard to tell. The band have an unbelieveable chemistry the would initially imply that they'd been together for years. Their sound manages to work in such harmony, a clean balance between vocals and instrumentals. I find that this keeps the songs interesting, and give a real feel of anthemic rock. I'll admit, this band was an unexpected treat. The track 'Breathe' is a favoured track of mine, and an assured attention grabber for the start of a debut single. It has a belter of a chorus and some fantastically catchy riffs. Within seconds I was humming along with a sure smile on my face. The band are undoubtedly accomplished singer/songwriters, and it seems i'm not the only one it has struck a chord with - others have too. Fans of  the group can frequently be seen tweeting comments to the band like: 'Love this!' - and do I really blame them? of course not. This band are onto something good. 

Lola Cove have an impressive resume too, supporting the likes of King Charles, Young Rebel Set, Wayward Daughter and Flight Brigade.

This EP is a real standout for such a new band, the effortlessness of the album really comes into its own, & i'm pretty sure any future album coming from these guys is going to be solid. I am very much excited as to what the future holds for these guys, and i'll be sure to keep one eye open for Lola Cove.

Why not give em' a listen?



And Lola Cove? Keep it up lads.


Millie x

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form