review

David Ramirez.

13:21Millicent Metcalfe


I've been a fan of David's for around 3 years now, after accidentally stumbling across his music. (This seems to happen a lot). I guess I'm just being selfish not telling anyone about his music. However, out with my selfish ways and on with the magic.
I give you, David Ramirez.

In a society filled with Top 40 tunes and twerking teenagers, a lone singer/songwriter would seem to have his work cut out. This looked to be the case for Austin-based David Ramirez, however he has undoubtedly charmed quite a following. David has released a number of recordings over the past 10 years, spanning 2 full length albums and 3 EP's. My favourite album of his, and his most recent is 'Apologies'.
Ramirez has a growing fanbase and in 2012 we saw Ramirez play over 175 gigs, ranging from large theatres to independent bars. When asked about his fan base, David stated " I've been humbled by the response I've received from people. Not only do they come to a show or two but they seem to be in it for the haul. Touring can be tough, but knowing that people around the country are excited to be a part of my music brings so much joy and meaning to the miles." knowing that david appreciates the time that fans take to support him, is a real nod to the man and artist he really is.
Apologies might be David's most personal, affecting collection of songs to date. This is what really lifts the album, the songs are so full of unclouded emotion, you can almost feel the lyrics. They're deeply personal and intimate -almost confessional. David stated, "I've never been more personal with an album than I am with Apologies," "I fear I might have gone too far. I fear I may have been too open."

You see the fact of the matter is, David Ramirez isn't like other songwriters. His emotion isn't artificial, his low growl and quiet country sway thoroughly authentic.
Listening to Apologies, I can't help but agree with David when he said the album was personal, but I don't think it was a bad decision on his part. It feels as though we're being given an unequivocal look at the deepest parts of his soul. His country tinged songs are brutally honest, and decidedly beautiful. Armed with only a small band and/or a guitar he grabs hold of you and never lets go exquisitely telling his stories. My favourites from the album are:

1.An Introduction - The track recalls David'd childhood search for God. Ramirez grew up in a christian family and the song holds an almost bitter grudge, without being distinctly anti or pro God. It's my favourite track, and one of my all time favourite songs.  










2. Stick around - Is a beautiful song in which David laments at his inability to hold down roots. With stunning vocals and such a personal insight to david, there isn't room for wrongdoing.







~





3. Find the Light - My last favourite. In fairness I can appreciate the entirety of the album, but this one particularly stands out to me. No one really ever mentions this track and I think it deserves more love. Give it a listen.










David, if your music career somehow doesn't end how you want it to, you've always got me.




Millie x


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form