review

Wolf Gang.

11:36Millicent Metcalfe

Ah Wolf Gang.

Wolf Gang are a British alternative and symphonic rock band, with Londoner Max McElliot as lead vocalist. Having initially played with various people beforehand, in 2009 we saw him settle with the current group including Lasse Petersen on drums (previously associated with The Rakes) Gavin Slater on Guitar, James Wood on bass and Jamie Jones on keyboard.

Until just over a couple of years ago I had no idea who 'Wolf Gang' were. And honestly, for a band that has a name for a collective group of wild dogs, I was jubious to listen to their music. One day, After scrolling through all of my itunes for an hour I realised I had accidentally bought an album. To this day I'm still not quite sure how I managed this. Initially horrified that i'd wasted £8.99 on a band I'd never heard of before, I immediately had to listen to the album to check it wasn't utter shit. After listening to the first track 'Lions in Cages' I'll admit I  was impressed. It was an unexpected treat. I listened to bands like Two Door Cinema Club and Passion Pit which in some respects were similar, but this was new and  honestly? really enjoyable. I'm not saying I was expecting complete rubbish, I just wasn't expecting this.

This debut album from the group has been a long time coming and it is clearly visible in the music that it has been carefully crafted over time. There is a real pop aspect to the album, with a clean classic sound but  is still elegantly tied with a sharp electro base. The opening track 'Lions in Cages' embraces and harnesses a variety of genres and era's combining 70's glam rock and 90's indie. Combing the electro pop and an almost Killers style rock and roll, Wolf Gang were onto a winner. This track also displays much of the group's capability and is a definite attention grabber for the start of an album.

The songs all flow together, and really produce an effortless feel to the overall sound of the album. The highlights of the album are 'Stay and Defend' with its belter of a chorus alongside 'The King and All of His Men' with this song being one of my personal favorites. Due to its catchy lyrics and the way the song dips and builds, it immediately created an all round fab pop song. There are some solid gems on this album and I could list countless points on why each song is amazing in its own right, but due to lack of time, and saving yours, don't worry i'm not going to.

The debut album Suego Faults was released July 2011 on Atlantic Records, So you can probably understand that this post has been a long time coming. In February 2013 the band signed a worldwide record deal with the American label Cherrytree Records. They are now writing and recording their second album which will be released at a later date.
If it isn't already apparent I do love this band and find it hard to fault them and their album. I am SO excited for their upcoming adventures.




But if I have one piece of advice?

Lads? Make the next album as good as your first.



Millie x



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form