featured review

Latest Bit of Cool: Meet The Fontaines

07:24Millicent Metcalfe

 My latest 'Indie Blues' infused crush has to be the Sheffield based band 'The Fontaines' having immediately charmed me from the first listen. "They're right up my street!" I exclaimed to myself as I hummed along to the catchy saxaphone base of 'Velvet'. That's right, they've got a sax, (getting cooler by the minute, I know). New, young and full of exciting Indie Blues, they band have cited some of their influences as 'Polkadodge' 'The Mayfields' and 'JATO' alongside others. This band well and truly provide hard hitting vocals with punchy beats that will stay with you for days. Catchy and seamless hooks galore, it seems they've created a simply masterful collection of songs perfect for anytime of year. 

Having sprung up late last year, this four-man band consists of Joseph Parsons (Lead Vocals/Rhythm Guitar), Alex Tood (Lead Guitar/Backing Vocals), Tom Nugent (Bassist/Backing Vocals) and Oliver Clark (Drums/Shouting). The four lads have also been given help from Ellie Rockliff (trumpet) and Jo Woodcock (Saxaphone) *aaaand breathe*. One thing that made me fall even deeper in love with 'The Fontaines' was their inherent sense of who they are. A strong sheffield snarl is clear in all of their music thanks to Joe, and the band seem like really genuine friends-having fun whilst making music that they love. Why wouldn't I back that?

The comfort of an easy listen is consistent in all of their tracks, with my parents even having an odd listen around the house. Suitable for anyone and everyone, 'The fontaines' are sure to go far, having performed a few gigs to their ever supporting, loyal fanbase. I can safely say I have been added to the latter, having danced along to tracks such as 'Velvet' and 'Love is Blind' one too many times to just class myself as someone 'checking out a new band'. If it isn't already clear, I friggin love these guys. Good, honest music backed by hard working guys- they definitely deserve more recognition.  

With the recent release of their EP 'Santiago Skyline' they've graced us with four seamlessly stunning tracks, equally as catchy and loveable as the last. 'Blame it on the Alcohol' is one of my favourites, with the guitar riffs adding something a little bit extra to the track. I really hope these guys get the push they deserve and I think Tom, Joe, Alex, Oliver, Jo and Ellie are going to get really far. Wherever that may be, i'm sure it'll be shittones of fun. 


Keep it up lads, you're doing great. 

Millie x


You Might Also Like

1 comments

Popular Posts

Contact Form